new year's has never been my thing.
one year i planned to go to a new year's eve dance.... but fell asleep on the couch while my sisters and their friend were doing shots (with water) in the kitchen and taking pictures of themselves passed out on the counter top. i could hear the giggling.
one year i planned to go cross country skiing... but fell asleep on the couch instead.
one year i planned nothing and stayed home, went to bed at 10:30 and didn't have to cancel on anyone. i think i'm learning.
in general, there are high expectations for a whole lot of nothing. except maybe in the movie cutting edge, where they get to awkwardly kiss on midnight, but the sparklers make it so magical, don't you think?
here's an article my friend posted on FB. i love it. out with the old, in with the new. there is something liberating about leaving the past behind.
i wonder how much time we all spend on things in the past. on replaying stuff in our mind that bothers us, stuff that makes us angry or sad, or stuff that just ticks us off. i'm going to work on one of these things every week. we'll see what happens.
1. Stop spending time with the wrong people.
2. Stop running from your problems.
3. Stop lying to yourself. (no way, i did not just eat 25 rolos)
4. Stop putting your own needs on the back burner.
5. Stop trying to be someone you’re not. (no really, I AM michael jackson!)
6. Stop trying to hold onto the past.
7. Stop being scared to make a mistake.
8. Stop berating yourself for old mistakes. (remember that time I backed into the parked car in your driveway Dad? forgetaboutit)
9. Stop trying to buy happiness. (goodbye TJ Maxx, I'll miss you)
10. Stop exclusively looking to others for happiness.
11. Stop being idle. (Words with Friends anyone?)
12. Stop thinking you’re not ready. (i was BORN ready)
13. Stop getting involved in relationships for the wrong reasons.
14. Stop rejecting new relationships just because old ones didn’t work.
15. Stop trying to compete against everyone else.
16. Stop being jealous of others. (if only that monkey on her shoulder was on MY shoulder)
17. Stop complaining and feeling sorry for yourself.
18. Stop holding grudges. (in third grade, you pulled my hair and pushed me in the mud. wahhh)
19. Stop letting others bring you down to their level. (oh, so this is what sea level looks like)
20. Stop wasting time explaining yourself to others.
21. Stop doing the same things over and over without taking a break.
22. Stop overlooking the beauty of small moments. (spend five minutes with a kid, you'll see it all)
23. Stop trying to make things perfect.
24. Stop following the path of least resistance.
25. Stop acting like everything is fine if it isn’t. (i feel good i feel great i feel wonderful - bob wiley)
26. Stop blaming others for your troubles.
27. Stop trying to be everything to everyone.
28. Stop worrying so much. (worry is like a rocking chair, it gives you something to do, but you don't get anywhere)
29. Stop focusing on what you don’t want to happen.
30. Stop being ungrateful.