Thursday, January 26, 2012

bathroom floor prayers

the movie eat, pray, love was super, dooper boring with a capital BBB.  however, i remember reading an excerpt of the book in Oprah magazine.  i tore it out, and put it by my bedside.  it has worn edges as i've read it so many times.  this article/concept has stayed with me.  i never read the full book eat, pray, love because i felt like it got all muddled up with her finding herself and turning more inward than outward, but i do think her post below has some gems.  we really can have a dialogue with God if we want to.  it takes some effort on our part. 

http://www.beliefnet.com/Inspiration/2007/08/Hearing-The-Voice-Of-God-On-The-Bathroom-Floor.aspx

favorite quote:
"Quite abruptly, I found that I was not crying anymore. I’d stopped crying, in fact, in mid-sob. My misery had been completely vacuumed out of me. I lifted my forehead off the floor and sat up in surprise, wondering if I would see now some Great Being who had taken my weeping away. But nobody was there. I was just alone. But not really alone, either. I was surrounded by something I can only describe as a little pocket of silence—a silence so rare that I didn’t want to exhale, for fear of scaring it off. I was seamlessly still. I don’t know when I’d ever felt such stillness."

this dialogue with God reminded me of the recent general conference talk where the man was hungry, and prayed for a quarter to buy a chicken wing.  totally insignificant in the grand scheme of things, but to him in that very moment, it mattered a lot.  so it mattered to God too.  how neat is He. 
http://www.lds.org/general-conference/2011/10/the-privilege-of-prayer?lang=eng

No comments:

Post a Comment