Friday, September 2, 2011

Maybe Big Lots Doesn't Always save you money...

It's no surpise I love a good deal.  I learned it from my Aunt Loda -- who has an everlasting radar for bargains.  She has a knack for finding the good stuff and ends up with the BEST deals ever.  My Aunt Karen also loves Big Lots.  She lovingly calls it Big Lots of Crap. 

I was introduced to Big Lots by aforementioned Auntie and pretty much became one of those people who buy things like 'Glass House' and 'Weekend at Bernie's' for people's birthdays.  I usually end up getting these gifts back, so it's really a win/win situation every time.

For some reason, the orange sticker (which is on everything by the way) speaks to me and I pick up stuff that normally I wouldn't glance twice at.  I ended up today with some crazy candy, a bottle of ketchup, ginger snaps, & a lovely and refreshing diet coke.  I had my stuff in my little basket (carts are never a good idea at places like that) and went on my merry way until this:
These.are.yummy.  I like them a whole bunch.  So I reach down to grab some and hear 'excuse me miss, do you have 90 cents'?  To which for some reason I reply 'point nine zero?'.   He says 'well... I might want a soda too, so how about two dollars?'. 

There was this lady in the aisle, eying this man with judgment.  Probably something I would've done too had I seen a similar interaction.  Seeing that look on her face and identifying with it made me want to provide a different reaction.  I didn't want to be one of "those" people.   I rarely give money when people approach me,  but this time something told me to do it.  In that moment, I just wanted to make things right in the world.   I opened my wallet to find a five dollar bill that was lying right on top.  It practically begged me to pass it over to him.  He took it, said thank you and I didn't see him again.

Technically, if time is money, I didn't really save anything that day.

Interestingly enough, I still had enough cash to pay for my stuff.  Enough is all we need, right?
And that, my friends, is what I call a miracle.

1 comment:

  1. Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.....

    ReplyDelete