Friday, March 11, 2011

My Missionary Barbie has a First Name

It's M   A   R   L   A

Notice anything different about this Barbie?  You might not be able to see the small print but there is a name tag and it says "Sister Kucera".  There is also a CTR ring on the right hand.  And how about that Book of Mormon velcroed to the dress?  There are so many things I love about this Barbie. 


My dear friend Jill made it for me and sent it to me during my mission in California.  It came in a box, labeled Missionary Barbie.  She made the clothes herself - totally dig the daisies and the belt - and she made pretty much everything else except the actual doll itself.  Not only did she make the doll, she decorated the box and wrote a description of what Missionary Barbie can do.  One of my favorite lines was "Watch Missionary Barbie as she slaps Elder Ken" or something like that ...

However, when I took it for Show & Tell for one of District meetings, the Elders didn't think it was as funny as I did and that was kind of awkward.  Maybe they didn't expect one of the show & tell items to be a Barbie doll.  Who knows.  Or maybe they were just jealous that no one made them a Missionary Barbie (or should I say KEN). I guess I'll never know.

3 comments:

  1. They probably just didn't know how to respond to the idea of velcroing books to boobs. It would make me a little uncomfortable, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. out of that whole post Reuben, you focus on boobs. i might write a post just about boys and boobs. just for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. no you won't.

    Reuben, get a grip.

    For pity sake.

    ReplyDelete