Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Opposites Attract?

My evening consisted of some polar opposites.

I came home to find this woman, in a tank top, running down the middle of the street.  I thought, wow, that's odd, even for a Minnesotan (because everyone knows how MN people like to wear shorts when it's really cold just to prove that they are hardcore).  I got the mail and then went back to my house.  Some yelling started and I got a little curious.  I left my garage door open just in case anything happened. 

Something happened alright.  Two women were chasing each other in their cars.  One of them got out of her vehicle and opened the car door of the other woman's vehicle, grabbed her and tried to yank her out of the car.  Lots of girl fighting ensued.  I ran and got my phone, called 911 and gave the dispatcher a play by play of what was going on in my front yard while peeking through my back door. 

I was a bit breathy and riled up as I spoke, with random bits of semi-hysterical laughter slipping out on occasion. The whole thing was very Jerry Springer.  And I never want to see that happen again.  To think that I considered running out there and getting in between that mess is beyond me.  Let's just say I would NOT make a good cop.  And I'm ok with that.
After that incident, I went to my first Meditation class in Minneapolis at the Common Ground center in Minneapolis.  It was a kick in the pants.  Sometimes you just need something completely new and different to absorb you.  And absorb me it did.  The type of people there were your run of the mill average joes and the vibe was very calm.  The dude at the front was on an altar, sitting there like he was in his own living room.  He let us through a meditation exercise.  He rung a bell three times.  It was very... excuse the phrase... Zen.  He kept talking about the word DHARMA.  He made no jokes or references to LOST which was a bit disappointing, but in the spirit of Mindfulness I can now forgive him.  I'm excited to go back next week.  Maybe I'll get to meet a real monk!



Thus ends my opposites post. 

PS  This morning, wanna know what I noticed?  It was a FULL MOON.  People get crazy during the full moon cycles.  I know it's true because I saw it on Grey's Anatomy once.  Or maybe it was ER.  I dunno, because all those medical shows blend together.

2 comments:

  1. Whoa. That's bizarre. Perhaps that's what you get for keeping the giveaway. jk:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. or it could be because i live in the hood...

    ReplyDelete