Friday, January 28, 2011

Gradeschool Memories

How old were you in 1986?  I was 11.  Eleven years old.  Presumably in sixth grade. 

Having trouble doing the math in your head are we?  Well use this. http://www-users.med.cornell.edu/~spon/picu/calc/agecalc.htm

I didn't use it, because I am a WHIZ at math, but hopefully it can help you.  Even when I figure out how many hours of sleep I get per night, I don't have to count it out like this:  1to2 2to3 3to4 4to5 etc.

Fun.  So how old were you? Younger than me? Say it ain't so. Older?  That's just fine with me. 

Ok, now that we all know what age we were, do you remember what happened on Tuesday, January 28, 1986?Today was the 25th anniversary of the Challenger's mission.  My, how time flies.

I remember another teacher, coming into our classroom and interrupting.  It just wasn't something that happened.  While we heard what was being said, none of us really understood.  Our teacher gasped in response and then she started to cry.  And that's all I remember. 

While coming across a few articles today, I watched some clips of President Reagan addressing the nation.  I loved how eloquent he sounded and how patriotic I felt while listening to him.  I love that he talked of God and wasn't afraid to broach the topic of believing in a greater plan and a God who had a vision and control of all things.   

"I know it's hard to understand, but sometimes painful things like this happen. The future doesn't belong to the faint-hearted; it belongs to the brave," Reagan said. "The Challenger crew was pulling us into the future, and we'll continue to follow them."

The crew of the space shuttle Challenger honored us by the manner in which they lived their lives. We will never forget them, nor the last time we saw them, this morning, as they prepared for the journey and waved goodbye and slipped the surly bonds of earth to touch the face of God." ~Dear President Reagan

1 comment: