Saturday, October 3, 2009

First Day of School



I went over to Reva's house during my lunch hour on the first day of school.  Reva, Chloe and I waited anxiously for Jake to come home from kindergarten.  Not sure how that happened as I was just holding him tightly in my arms making goo goo faces at him.

The bus slowly drove up to the curb and Jacob jumped off and ran like lightening to his mama.  It was the sweetest thing to witness.  Reva asked him how his first day of school was and he totally clammed up.  She proceeded to ask him questions and only got monsyllable responses.  She wasn't worried though, she said the flood would come out eventually.

It's a more than a stretch for me realize that we must trust others to take care of our children.  That eventually there is a point when we have to let go and have faith that the Lord will take care of them when we can not.  It seems only natural for these thoughts to turn to our own relationship with our Heavenly Father. 

Many people on my mission would ask me "If there is a God, why would He let such horrible things happen to us?" and then they would tell me about a tragedy that occured in their lives that made them stop believing.  I ached for these people because their pain was real and they had indeed suffered greatly.

Last night I was watching a movie that demonstrated one of the best analogies I've heard so far regarding this very topic. 

Clark Davis:  Missy could fall down and hurt herself, even if I'm walking right there beside her. That doesn't mean that I allowed it to happen. She knows, as far as unconditional love, I'll pick her up and I'll carry her. I'll try to heal her. I'll cry when she cries. And I'll rejoice when she is well. In all the moments of my life, God has been right there beside me. The truth of God's love is not that he allows bad things to happen. It's His promise that he'll be there with us when they do.

I admit it:  I'm guilty of watching cheesy Hallmark movies. But there's always a point and a life lesson involved.

PS If you can guess this movie, I'll send you a twinkie.

2 comments:

  1. Love Comes Softly!!! woot woot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. RayRay - send me your address. :)
    my email is
    marlakucera@aol.com

    you are so. smart.

    ReplyDelete