Thursday, March 26, 2009

What the Sap?!

Guess who went here with Jake, Chloe & Megan.

What a fun day!

We trudged through the forest following a little elf like man named Ken. He showed us where to find the best trees to get sap to make syrup. We took our little buckets and filled them up, brought them back to the big boiling cauldron and poured it in.

Apparently, there is an entire little city right in the lovely backyard of Shakopee, very similar to Nauvoo. They had little houses we could tour, a horse drawn carriage and people in old-time costumes. We saw how they made candy with the sugar and you couldn't rip the cup of sugar out of Chloe's tight grasp. I now see how the phrase 'sugar lips' was coined. See Megan's blog here. I love the photos she took. Especially the one with Chloe putting up her two little fingers during the presentation and saying "I'm two!".

























3 comments:

  1. I love Murphy's Landing! I had my fifth grade birthday party there. It was really fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Geesh, looks like fun. All we need now is some warm(er) weather and some sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, I love those kids. And I miss them! Next time bring them on a field trip to Utah! They'd love the airplane ride.

    ReplyDelete