Friday, December 5, 2008

A Miracle for Marla

It's been about two years since My Christmas Miracle occurred. I found myself in the Burnsville mall parking lot with one very flat tire. I did not, however, notice that my tire was flat until a guy next to my car said "Hey - your tire is flat" and then he walked away with his girlfriend into the mall.

I decided it was high time for me to learn how to change my own tire. After all, I had seen it done before. It couldn't be that hard. I opened the trunk of the car, wrestled with the jack which was BOLTED to the inside of the car for about 25 minutes (whose bright idea was that), popped the tire out of the car and suddenly -

"Hi there"
"Hi"
"You need some help?"
"Well... I think I'm getting it"
"Why are you holding the crowbar like that?"
"Uh....."

Ok so the conversation didn't exactly go like that, but the gist was this man approached me, offered help and I accepted.

While he was changing my tire I subjected him to my random comments and questions (oh.... that's how that works, so.... are you from Minnesota?, How 'bout this weather) dispersed with expressions of gratitude. He told me how he hoped that this would make up for him yelling at his entire staff and somehow redeem him from being such a Grinch this year.

This man finished changing my tire and then went on his merry, sans Grinch way.

I think of him every time I pass by the Burnsville mall. I remember him for his random act of kindness and for stopping to help a stranger. That's the kind of stuff that makes me believe in miracles.


“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.” - Nelson Mandela

4 comments:

  1. What a nice man!
    I'm proud of you for attempting to change your own tire. I would have no clue how to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute story - and he was nice. I hope my little boys grow up to be such nice men!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the quote and the story. Someday I too will learn how to change a tire. Thanks for the fun times this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that's one of my favorite quotes ever...& what a cool story:)

    ReplyDelete