Tuesday, June 17, 2008

A Rose by Any Other Nickname would be called Rosie

I recently found 2 definitions of the word"nickname".

Babylon English dictionary
Nickname v. give a name; give an affectionate name; give a shortened name n. name of affection; shortened name; alias; name invented for oneself and used on IRC (Internet).

Examples of nicknames in my family:

Jake the Snake. Started by our newest member of the family, Emily's husband Dan. I'm not sure where this came from other than it rhymes and Jake really likes snakes so he thinks this nickname is pretty darn cool. Usually when you call Jacob anything other than his actual name, he goes on the defense.

Example:
Marla: Jacob! You are such a darling boy!
Jake: Marla, I am NOT a darling boy!

But hey hey HEY - Mr. Dan walks in the room and calls him Jake the Snake and he just looks up at him and grins. Go figure! He'd rather be called a snake than a darling boy. Intersting insight into the world of men dontcha think?

The other definition I found for nicknames was from several years ago. The nickname in 1913 was not as favorable.

Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913)
Nickname (v. t.) To give a nickname to; to call by a nickname. (n.) A name given in contempt, derision, or sportive familiarity; a familiar or an opprobrious appellation.

I do admit that I've used this form for nicknames in the past.

Example 1:
Marla: I'm going to call you "W".
Bob**: Why? What does W stand for?
Marla: WHINER

Example 2:
Marla: I went on a date with LJ the other night.
Random person: Who is LJ?
Marla: Loser Joe**.

The brillilliant thing about these nicknames is that you can use them for anyone. If you name is Chuck and you tick me off, suddenly you are LC.

Now that my secret is out I'm going to have to come up with new nicknames.

Here is the family inventory:

Jana: Jana Banana
Mom: ?
Marla: Marla KaFarla
Emily: ?
Reva: ?
Dad: Taz
Dan: Dan the Man?
Jeff: ?
Jake: Jake the Snake
Chloe: ?

Our family has very few nicknames. This either means

a) we like each other

b) we can't stand each other and therefore to spend time for the cause would be complete irony.

Hmm...

--------------------------------------------------------------------
** I have never called anyone named Bob a whiner.

**Loser Joe is a hypothetical name. I have not yet been out on a date with a boy named Joe. I'm sure there's time and that there actually is a boy named Joe who could fit (or foot) the bill.

Disclaimer: We are all God's children. If you are a Joe or a Bob, I'm sure you are very lovely people.

1 comment:

  1. Your new nickname will be Marlin as in the fish or Marlen as in a funny name.

    ReplyDelete