Friday, June 27, 2008

Carrots and Raisins

I can not even begin to tell you how much I loved these cookies. I found the recipe on the Baking Bites website. I even took the time and grated little baby carrots one by one at the risk of losing my own fingers because that was all I had. And seeing those little carrot nubs in the bowl just made me think of fingers. All of a sudden I picture CSI right there in my kitchen. I have to stop watching those shows.

Ahemm...moving on...

What's even more impressive than Marla grating baby carrots is that she looked in her cupboard and pulled out pumpkin pie spice. It was like a magic trick. Maybe everyone has a little bit of Martha in them after all...


Oatmeal Raisin Carrot Cookies
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 cup grated carrots
1 cup quick-cooking (1 minute) oats
1 cup raisins

Preheat oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt.In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg, vanilla and spices. With the mixer on low speed, or working by hand, stir in flour mixture. Once no streaks of flour remain, stir in carrots, oats and raisins.Drop tablespoonfuls of batter onto prepared baking sheets and flatten slightly. Bake for 11-13 minutes, until cookies are set and lightly browned on the edges. Cool for 3 or 4 minutes on the baking sheets, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
YIELD: 2 dozen cookies. Marla's YIELD: 1 dozen cookies.

5 comments:

  1. are they really that good....worth the carrot grating?

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's worth it! but get bigger carrots! you can even make them with cream cheese frosting. make them andy - you can impress your dinner party people. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sampled one (or more) of these delightful treats and I can whole-heartedly recommend them.

    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  4. these look sooooo good!! I'll have to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm intrigued by your cream cheese frosting comment. Now I'll consider making them. What is the cream cheese recipe?

    ReplyDelete