Friday, June 13, 2008

1*2*3 Stories 4 Dad. Happy Father's Day!

The Word "Gullible" Really IS in the Dictionary.
We were in the yard one day doing something that isn't noteworthy enough to remember. He accidentally knocked my shin with something and it made a really loud crack. I went out in the back yard and rubbed a bunch of dirt on my shin and made it look really bruised and beat up. Then I found him and said, Dad, my leg really hurts. You should've seen his face! It was hilarious. I could only keep the cackling inside for so long... and then BAM it was out and I jumped around and he rolled his eyes me and gave me the look I've seen many times before. It's that look of admiration, annoyance and surprise, all in one. But hey Dad - you gotta admit - I got you GOOD!

My Hero.
My dad is a retired cop from the City of Minnetonka. My sisters and I would ask my dad to tell us stories from work. It seemed like we could never get anything good out of him when we were little. A few years ago I asked for his best cop story ever. I asked him about it a few months ago and he had no recollection of it happening or of relaying the story to me. That's the funny thing about memory... it dies fast. Here's the story he told me. My dad got a call on his radio on-duty one night as he was driving around. A suspect in a van was headed in his direction and he was to intercept him. He saw the van ahead of him and followed him. The man drove down a culdesac and when he realized he was trapped, he jumped out of the car and ran into a backyard with a swamp. Here was a real, honest-to-goodness police chase in the middle of suburbia. Dad got out of the car and ran after the guy. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw the man, "hiding", face down in the weeds. He quietly went toward the man, placed his foot in the middle of his back, and presumably said GOTCHA. Because that is just the kind of man my dad is. He always kept his humor on the job. He took the guy, handcuffed him, and led him back out to the car. And here comes my favorite part. The chase had woken up several of the neighbors who were out on the lawn in their pajamas & robes. As my dad came around the corner in his uniform walking behind the captured man, applause erupted from the neighborhood. Three cheers for Dad!

Knock, knock.
Who's there?

Dad.

Dad who?

My Dad can't tell a joke to save his life. It takes too long to get to the punchline!

2 comments:

  1. Nicely done Marla. Don't forget Emily Day on November 7th:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. emily - go back and toast something in that fancy toaster oven ok?

    ReplyDelete