Friday, February 8, 2008

Little Blue Shoes

I’ve been reading books on adoption. Curling up in my bed after work and reading entire books. The subject has always been fascinating to me. In college at Utah State, I completed a six month internship at what was then LDS Social Services. While the memories are faint, there are some things that are vivid - moments I will never forget. The two books out of the stack of eight that I chose to read were personal stories of adoption. Stories of individuals who traveled far and wide to adopt a child. It’s fascinating to me. What draws them to that particular country? What makes them feel like something is missing? Why do they go to such lengths to adopt a child?

I read two books worth mentioning. Forever Lily is about a woman who went with a friend to China to adopt a baby. Her friend ended up deciding to not adopt her and suddenly she knew the child was supposed to be hers. I loved the cover of the book - little blue shoes. It was a very captivating read and very heart-felt. She dedicated her book to 'the ones left behind'.

Saving Levi talks about an infant who was badly burned and left to die in a field. A Chinese man rescued him and then he was turned over to a couple from America. They helped him heal - along with an entire team of doctors, nurses & multiple surgeries.

The book contained a beautiful quote from Donald Miller:

And so my prayer is that your story will have involved some leaving and some coming home, some summer and some winter.... my hope is your story will be about changing... about learning to love a child... about learning to love others more than we love ourselves... we get one story, you and I, and one story alone. God has established the elements, the setting and the climax and the resolution. It would be a crime not to venture out, wouldn't it? And you will not be alone… you have never been alone. Don't worry, everything will still be here when you get back it is you who will have changed.

No comments:

Post a Comment