Friday, November 9, 2007

Emily Coles Kucera

Below is what you get when you google ‘Emily Kucera’. You get her Derby Days 5K race results.

Derby Days Turf 5K
... MN 32:39 10:32 68 12 W15 Tessa Kolan, 15*, Northfield, MN 32:55 10:37 69 19 W30 Marla Kucera, 32*, Shakopee, MN 33:07 10:41 70 15 W20 Emily Kucera, 23*, ...www.vacationsports.com/derbydaysresults07.html -

Let me reminiscence for a minute about the beauty of running a race with Emily Kucera.

She doesn’t let you quit. She makes you keep going. She puts up with your whining and crying. She even lets you cheat by taking a shortcut during the race while half the runners are watching (this is ALL hypothetical of course!). And during the race, when you feel you are about to give up, she says things like ‘HEY! WE ARE A TEAM! COME ON! I WON’T LEAVE MY SISTER [I mean hypothetical girl or boy] BEHIND! NOW GET YOUR BUTT MOVING AND LET'S FINISH THIS RACE!’

I’m pretty sure there were some other analogies during the race. She just kept coming up with them. Ok, and the other person she was dragging along was ME. I can admit defeat. I’m a grown-up (not).

The kicker was at the end. Really, it was. I got my second wind and started to run my guts out. And dare I say, Emily was impressed. The funny thing was, I knew it was because she stayed by me. She was rooting for me. My sister! I kept yelling at her – ‘Pass me! For the love of Pete, just pass me!’ but she wouldn't and I think she was even quoting scriptures somewhere in the middle of all of that, being the fine returned missionary that she is.

And look, here are our times:
69 19 W30 Marla Kucera, 32*, Shakopee, MN 33:07 10:41
70 15 W20 Emily Kucera, 23*, Minnetonka, MN 33:07 10:41

I find it interesting that she was 23 and I was 32 at the time. Just a little numbers thing I like to notice.

She had the same time as me, both of us crossing the finish line, Emily - side by side me - slow & extremely pokey who didn’t particularly feel like running that day... because sisters don’t leave sisters behind.

Love you EM!

PS When’s our next race?

1 comment:

  1. You forgot to mention how you made me ask the lady if the we were at the 2 mile marker, when CLEARLY it was only the 1 miler. ha! she thought we were ridiculous...but at least it was a memorable race:)

    ReplyDelete